Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is there such a thing as a thief magnet?

Yes there is....In fact, it has a name or should I say she does.....April. For any of you who lack this knowledge, I was robbed twice in Guatemala, 3 times last year in the US, once when I was pregnant with Trey, and Christmas Eve of this year due to stolen credit card number in a resteraunt (at least that is probably where it happened). I told my ever supportive husband that I will look at it like this....I must be doing something right because Satan attacks those who are doing good not the ones doing his will. So....I must be blessed!

Friday night, after a great trip at Disney, our van was broken into (the lock was popped out of the side door) while we eating supper at Perkins. Parked next to the entrance directly outside the door, a ring of car thieves stole just what was in sight out of the big red van. Thinking of course it was a tourist van, they were quite surprised with what they found. They grabbed our backpack used at Disney, our diaper bag, my purse ( a new Guatemalan artisan purse...ugh!), Casey's new camcorder, Payton's portable dvd player, and a bag of DVD's and vhs tapes. In the Disney backpack were 3 cameras...mine with all our pictures, Casey's camera, and Payton's Disney flix video cam. The only thing worth very much was my camera and it was worth more to me than money from a pawn shop. The main movies in the bag of DVD's and vhs were Barney movies...too funny. Inside the backpack was a bag of poopy clothes and shoes from an "explosion" of sorts that occurred earlier in the day...another funny story about Cintia. Can't you imagine the expression on the crook's face when they opened that package! Thank you Cintia for a surprise fitting a thief! The greatest thing was that the brand new 120 GB Ipod, my Ipod touch, our good Sony DVD camcorder, cash, and some other important things were left untouched. They only grabbed what was in front of them. The Ipod was in clear view about 6+ inches away charging next to the cigarette lighter. They just didn't see it.

After hours of cancelling credit cards (all of which they were using at fast food resteraunts) and filing a police report, we went back and packed up, thankful that the only things irreplaceable were pictures. Our memory makers were safe in our care....and for that we are grateful. Earlier in the day, we had received a call that our neighbor's 18 yr. old son had hung himself from a tree between our house and their's. That tragedy put ours in perspective. So....no worries here. We stopped by Downtown Disney and took some quick pictures to remember our trip using Trey's digital camera which happened to be left during the invasion.

Today, I received a message on my answering machine that a couple of my bags were found at a hotel. My Honda keys were in it along with checks, prescription medication for my tummy, and some misc. credit cards. I am praying my purse will be one of the bags but I seriously doubt it. The Honda keys with remote entry were worth a couple hundred bucks....so that is good news for my insurance company.

More later....I have some funny stories and more pictures to share.

Blessings!
April

No comments: