Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Too much to catch up on tonight...




I can't catch up on everything tonight but I am looooong overdue. Sorry! I had surgery last week that should have been a walk in the park but has actually kicked my behind a little. So....I am behind on updates. Many things going on but for tonight I will give some pertinent tidbits on our little tidbit.

After a long awaited appointment to see a neurologist last week, we had an MRI done in Knoxville at East Tennessee Children's Hospital today. She had to be put to sleep and have an IV. She is a very hard stick. I warned them and they handled it well. Cintia's arm is pretty bruised but she is a trooper. She was not sedated using oral medicine but instead distracted with a doc and nurses (along with Mama) being silly and giving her toys. She cried but she did not turn into a tiger. She did an amazing job...she is a brave girl! Cintia's buddy Kevin got this MRI scheduled pronto...a real miracle I hear. The neurologist in Chattanooga said it would be June before she could get one here...and we just don't know how much time we have left. Not to mention East Tennessee is the best children's hospital on the planet! Once we are insured, we will still go there. They have been beyond generous to Cintia....a true heart for missions and kids. Funny little moment....when Cintia woke up, she wanted to take her hospital gown and blankie home with her. With a little coaxing, she traded them for some cool stickers.
With her ongoing leg weakness, abnormal gait, and balance issues, her doctors (as well as Kenny & I) felt it was past time to rule out spinal cord issues common with her congenital defect (tethered cord). Left untreated, she will deteriorate as she grows and all damage is irreversible. With spinal surgery, we could halt the process. This is something we would love to address with insurance behind us but it is too risky to wait since the adoption process may be long and difficult. The neurologist was equally concerned with her brain (cerebral palsy is the other possibility) so he asked for time to think about what tests to do. Although she is incredibly intelligent (and I am not just saying that...she lacks nothing in that department), he had concerns that she slurs some of her speech. I didn't notice it because I understand most of what she says. But....it is something that the pediatrician mentioned as well based on her gait abnormalities. When the neurologist called back, it was decided that an MRI of her T-spine and L-spine were needed. After discussing adding an MRI of of her brain, we decided (and he agreed) that waiting until she is adopted and has insurance would not pose any risk to her. CP will not worsen...it is what it is. Tethered cord on the other hand will definitely worsen. Her surgeon, pediatrician, and neurologist all agreed that the cord issue needs to be addressed now. If she has it, it needs correction quickly. Technically, it should have been ruled out by 6 months of age. Had she been born here, it would have been. God's timing is perfect so we are addressing it now. In a few days, we should know. I will update once we get the report.

More later....I am worn out and my snuggle girl is waiting to snuggle!
Blessings!

April




No comments: