In case you wonder like so many people why we love donkeys....look at these pictures! Jenny gave birth to a baby girl today. She is our first spotted mini and is a lucky little girl. She got stuck in the birth canal and almost didn't make it. When I made the decision to pull the baby, I had no idea how hard it is to pull a foal that is absolutely stuck. With all my strength I pulled, and I could not get the head delivered(the baby was coming out with a crowned head....think of the shape of an equine head. The head shood be tilted giving proper alignment.) Mini's are very small. I tried to push the nose back in to get the head lined up....all to no avail. Eventually, Jenny got up giving me a little gravity. I remembered the words in my foaling manual. Grab those legs and pull with everything you have and don't let go!!! Whew! My arms were shaking as I threw all my body weight down with the direction of the baby and finally the head, the shoulders....then woosh!!! The whole baby delivered instantly snapping the umbilical cord. Not what you want....but hey...at that point, the baby was out and there were signs of life. Unfortunately, this baby could not breathe. I cleared the fluid from her nostrils, held her head down and shook her. All she could do is retract as she tried to breath (meaning she tried to breath but could not get air). She must have taken her first breath under water (in the sac). I had a serious conversation with God at that moment...about mouth to nose on this baby....I said, "Please don't make me put my mouth on that donkey!" Looking down at my clothes, I was covered with blood and fluid. I was nasty beyond belief but this cute little baby was clean as a whistle. Unlike human babies who are covered with sticky stuff, donkeys come out very clean. She had been in her nice warm bag of water until I caught her. Finally, the decision was made. Unless I wanted to lose this baby, I better get busy. I blew a breath into her nostril and felt her lungs fill. She exhaled on her own but still could not get a breath back in. I repeated until after the 3rd breath, she finally took her first breath. (Of course, I repeatedly spit after I was done in case you were wondering. I couldn't wipe my mouth because my hands were less than clean.) The mom, Jenny had orphaned her last baby (she would not feed or let the baby near her) and I raised it on a bottle from birth. She would have eaten it alive if she could have. But this time, she turned around while I was reviving her baby and was licking the baby and me. So, after the first breath, I laid the baby in front of her mom and walked out to call the vet. The baby was very grunty for awhile but eventually perked up. Jenny is loving her baby! Jenny held onto the placenta for over 3 hours almost causing an emergency vet call. Finally, it delivered and all is well. We are not home free for a few days. The baby has a little cough from all the fluid but seems to be doing much better. We will watch her for a fever and the vet will check her Monday. Isn't she cute as a button? We may in fact name her "Button."
Cintia is in love with the baby. Actually, she is my first fellow equine lover. She loves horses and donkeys. Unfortunately, she will look at a horse and say, "Wook Mommy, a horsey! It says Hee Haw! Hee Haw!" Poor child is so confused!
This was a great distaction for us and a good reminder of who is in charge! Thank you God for this reminder!
Blessings!
April



No comments:
Post a Comment